Disposal A-Z Guide

Unsure of what to do with an unwanted item? Maybe you have something that is too large for curbside collection or potentially hazardous? Perhaps you have items that could be reused or recycled?

NWSWD has assembled this easy-to-use, alphabetized index to help you quickly find the information you need to properly dispose of unwanted household items. Simply click on the item name to view its disposal guidelines. We are constantly adding to the list, but if you can’t find the information that you’re looking for, contact us at (802)524-5986 or info@nwswd.org.

It is illegal to dispose of some types of this item in the trash.

Empty aerosol cans that contained non-hazardous materials such as food or hygiene products be recycled for free in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site. If item cannot be emptied, put in trash.

Aerosol cans that contain hazardous materials such as spray paint, chemical cleaners, or products designed to kill e.g. pesticide, insecticide, must be brought to the Georgia Recycling Facility by appointment or dropped off at one of the HHW Collection Events. Empty aerosol cans that contained hazardous materials can go in the trash.

spray paint ⋅ pesticide ⋅ insecticide ⋅ hair spray ⋅ whipped cream

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash.

Clean, dry aluminum foil, pie plates, and pans can be recycled for free in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site.

Aluminum must be 2″ or greater in any direction to recycle. Please ball up aluminum foil into bigger units before throwing it in your blue bin!

The burning or burying of agricultural plastic is illegal.

Agricultural plastic can be recycled at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site.

maple sap tubing ⋅ bunker cover ⋅  plastic mulch ⋅ bale wrap

Ammunition CANNOT be collected at NWSWD Drop-Off Sites, HHW collections, or any other collection sponsored by the District. The following retailers will accept unused bullets, shells, and gunpowder from the public:

  • Dattilio’s Discount Guns & Tackle
    794 Shelburne Rd, South Burlington, VT
    (802) 862-5516.
  • North Star Guns
    3214 East Main Street, Richmond, VT
    (802) 434-8400.

It is illegal to dispose of some types of this item in the trash.

Appliances, if in working condition, should be reused. The following organizations accept items that are in usable condition.

  • ReSource | 329 Harvest Ln #200, Williston, VT 05495 | (802) 857-4361
  • Goodwill | 64 Harvest Ln #30, Williston, VT 05495 | (802) 879-0088
  • Habitat For Humanity ReStore | 104 Robin Hood Dr., Swanton, VT 05488 | 802-857-5296 x4

White goods (refrigerators, ranges, washers, dryers, dishwashers, freezers, etc.) are banned from landfill disposal in Vermont. Appliances are accepted at the NWSWD Montgomery, Georgia, and North Hero Drop-Off Sites. Household appliances that are at least 80% metal are processed to remove any mercury switches and PCB capacitors and then recycled as scrap metal. Appliances that are less than 80% metal may be disposed of as trash.

drying machine ⋅ dishwasher ⋅ freezer ⋅ range ⋅ refrigerator ⋅ stove ⋅ washing machine ⋅ water heater ⋅ oven ⋅ microwave

Asbestos fibers can be a serious health hazard if proper precautions are not taken to protect yourself. If the asbestos is friable (crumbly, easily becomes airborne), it must be handled by an asbestos abatement contractor. Visit the Vermont Department of Health Website for more info

If it is not friable, it may be disposed of directly in a landfill. For detailed instructions, contact one of the privately operated landfills in Vermont:

  • Waste USA in Coventry – (802) 334-8300

For more information, contact the Vermont Department of Health Asbestos Hotline: (800) 439-8550.

Wood or coal ash can be disposed of in the trash, but be sure that they are cold. Wetting ashes down before disposal is strongly recommended.

In small quantities, ashes from clean wood (woodstoves and fireplaces) are fine to add to a compost pile. Wood ash will raise the pH and add potassium to the pile, but too much ash will reduce pore spaces and make the pile too alkaline.


wood ash ⋅ coal ash

Asphalt, brick, and concrete can often be reused or recycled for less than the cost of landfilling. Below is a list of companies that accept these materials for recycling.

block ⋅ cement ⋅ cinder ⋅ cinder blocks ⋅ masonry

Smaller loads (those that can be handled by hand) can be brought to the NWSWD Georgia or North Hero Drop-Off Sites.

Larger loads should be brought to the following locations:

Note: shingles sent to Myers will be recycled. Your fee for disposal will likely be less than if you take your load to Highgate Transfer Station. Loads taken to Highgate go to a landfill.

It is illegal to dispose of some types of this item in the trash. Batteries do not belong in the recycling bin.

Standard alkaline (AAA, AA, 9- Volt, C, D), lithium, rechargeable (NiCad, Lithium Ion, sealed lead), button cell, cell phone batteries are accepted for separate special recycling at:

Lead acid (car batteries) are accepted at the NWSWD Georgia facility only.

It is illegal to place these batteries in the trash in the State of Vermont:

  • NiCad (Nickel cadmium)
    Rechargeable batteries often found in alarm systems, emergency lighting, power tools, backup power devices, consumer electronic devices.
  • Lead acid
    Rechargeable batteries often found in cars, trucks, emergency lighting, off-grid household electric systems.
  • Mercury-containing batteries
    Non-rechargeable batteries often found in hearing aids, calculators, remote controls, toys, cameras, watches. Includes zinc air miniature batteries, silver oxide button-cell batteries, alkaline manganese oxide button-cell batteries, mercuric oxide batteries.

auto batteries ⋅ automobile batteries ⋅ automotive batteries ⋅ automotive battery ⋅ button cell ⋅ car battery ⋅ car batteries ⋅ cell phone battery ⋅ computer battery ⋅ e-cigarette batteries ⋅ hearing aid battery ⋅ lead acid ⋅ lithium ⋅ nicad ⋅ rechargeable ⋅ vaping batteries ⋅ watch battery

Paperback books are recyclable and can be placed directly in your blue-bin and picked up with the rest of your curbside recycling or brought to one of our Drop-Off Centers for recycling or possible reuse.

Hard cover books may be brought to our Georgia location for recycling or possible reuse.

All books must be clean and dry. Discard wet, moldy, or mildewy books with your household trash.

Reuse options: Donating your books to a local library or charity may be an option depending on the quality and content of the books.

There are also many textbook recyclers that will take current and recent revisions of textbooks and put them back into circulation. A quick online search will reveal many of these companies.

Save money by separating your waste by material type:

Cut all of the fabric off the boxspring. The fabric can be disposed of in the trash.

Use the clean wood for kindling, allow nature to decompose it, or dispose of it for a small fee at any NWSWD facility.

The metal that is left can be disposed of at most NWSWD sites.

OR bring the boxspring for disposal at certain NWSWD sites ( though you will pay more than if you had disassembled it).

Waste materials generated during the construction or demolition of a building (wood, sheet rock, roofing, etc.).

If you have used building materials in good condition, they may be accepted for reuse at the private businesses listed below:

  • Mason Brothers – (802) 879-4221
  • ReSOURCE’S ReBUILD Center – (802) 658-4143 – Currently accepting large loads of used asphalt shingles, plywood, press board, sheetrock, etc.
  • Myers Recycling Center | 218 Red Can Dr, Colcheste | (802) 655-4312
  • Highgate Transfer Station (800) 639-3083 or 868-7069

Small quantities (less than 1 cubic yard) of used building materials are also accepted as construction and demolition waste at the following NWSWD Drop-Off Centers. The fee is based on volume.

  • North Hero Transfer Station
  • Georgia Recycling Center (802) 524-5986
  • Additionally, Alburgh Transfer Station (802) 796-6078 takes small quantities.

dry wall ⋅ shingles

There are a number of options for broken or unwanted cell phones. You can donate your working cell phone to Voices Against Violence in St. Albans for use by victims of domestic violence.

The phone can also be donated to the Barlow Street Community Teen Center, they collect them as a fundraiser and are given $1.00 per phone by a company that recycles them.

Cell phones are also accepted for recycling at the NWSWD facility in Georgia and at the local stores listed below. Contact the store directly for hours of operation.

  • Best Buy — 26 Cypress, Williston (802) 872-0992
  • Sprint PCS Store — 166 Sycamore, Williston (802) 872-7732
  • Staples — 1375 Maple Tree Place, Williston and 861 Williston Rd, South Burlington (802) 872-0260 NOTE: Staples also accepts pagers and rechargeable batteries.
  • Verizon — 825 Williston Rd, South Burlington (802) 865-3100

Cardboard can be recycled for free in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site.

Just flatten and keep dry.

It is illegal to dispose of these in the landfill.

Small electronic waste and accessories may be recycled in our electronics recycling program! This includes our “Mixed Bag” recycling option. Drop off a grocery-sized bag of unwanted “technotrash,” including software, computer chips, disks, miscellaneous parts, adaptors, cords, cables, CDs/DVDs, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, etc.

There are several other companies you can contact to help you dispose of your technotrash, such as CDs and cassettes.

Green Disk offers “one place for you to dispose of everything from a CD to a PC and most of the technotrash in between.” Plus, they “even come and get it.”

MRC Polymers is another company that accepts CDs and recycles them at no cost. The only cost involved is shipping the boxes.

CD’s and Cassettes that are still readable can also be donated to Goodwill

Plastic CD cases can be recycled with your blue-bin recyclables in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site. Please make sure to separate any paper and cardboard inserts from the plastic case.

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash. 

Tree limbs, brush, clean stumps, and pallets and dimensional lumber that has never been painted, glued, stained, or treated are accepted at:

Hudak Farm Stand and Greenhouse | 599 St Albans Rd, Swanton | (802) 527-1147

Donate your clean clothes or textiles at the following locations. Clean clothes in any condition may be brought to the Georgia Recycling Center for reuse or recycling.

Goodwill Williston | 64 Harvest Ln #30, Williston | (802) 879-0088

Non-wearable clothes can be used as rags for cleaning or garage and tool shop work. Oily rags should be brought to the District’s Hazardous Waste Program.

bedding ⋅ belts ⋅ blankets ⋅ bras ⋅ button down shirts ⋅ clothes ⋅ clothing ⋅ coats ⋅ collared shirts ⋅ curtains ⋅ draperies ⋅ dress shirts ⋅ dresses ⋅ fabric ⋅ flannel ⋅ flip-flops ⋅ gloves ⋅ gowns ⋅ handbags ⋅ hats ⋅ jackets ⋅ linens ⋅ mittens ⋅ pants ⋅ rags ⋅ scarves ⋅ shawls ⋅ shirts ⋅ shoes ⋅ shorts ⋅ skirts ⋅ slacks ⋅ socks ⋅ sox ⋅ stuffed animals ⋅ sweatshirts ⋅ tee shirts ⋅ thongs ⋅ ties ⋅ torn clothes ⋅ underwear

Computers, laptops computer accessories, and televisions are banned from landfills. All are accepted for recycling at all NWSWD facilities except for St. Albans Drop-Off Site. Some items have a small fee.

Dairy tubs and yogurt containers are accepted as an All-in-One recyclable material. Please place directly in your blue bin and set out with the rest of your curbside recycling, or bring it in to one of our drop-off locations.

For larger amounts of dirt, sod, or clean fill there are several disposal options. First, look in the classifieds for places that accept clean fill or for signs along the road advertising the need for clean fill. You can also contact your local town office or that of surrounding towns for any information they may have of private, commercial, or municipal sites accepting clean fill.

Large amounts of dirt, sod, or clean fill are also accepted at the following locations:

Ranger Asphalt – 1607 Mallets Bay Ave. Colchester, (802) 655-3976,

Please see building materials section.

All banned electronic devices as well as small electronic waste and accessories are accepted at the District Transfer Station for special electronics recycling. Free collection is provided for some of the banned devices (computers, monitors, computer peripherals, printers, and TVs) for covered entities.*

The following electronic items are banned from the landfill:

  • Computers
  • Computer peripherals (keyboards, mice, etc.)
  • Computer monitors
  • Printers
  • CRTs
  • TVs
  • PDAs, MP3 players (& other personal e-devices)
  • Electronic game consoles
  • Fax machines
  • Wireless phones
  • Telephones
  • Answering machines
  • VCRs
  • DVD players
  • Digital converter boxes
  • Stereo equipment
  • E-device power cords & chargers

*Covered entities: consumers, charities, school districts, and small businesses that employ 10 or fewer individuals. Other individuals who bring in seven (7) or fewer devices can also recycle these devices at no charge.

Small electronic waste and accessories may also be recycled in our electronics recycling program! This includes our “Mixed Bag”recycling option. Drop off a grocery-sized bag of unwanted “technotrash,” including software, computer chips, disks, miscellaneous parts, adaptors, cords, cables, CDs/DVDs, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, digital cameras, etc. for a flat fee.

Some fire extinguishers can be refilled. Contact your retailer or the manufacturer to learn more about this option. Unwanted fire extinguishers are accepted at Georgia Recycling Center.

Fully discharged fire extinguishers can be accepted at Drop-Off Centers in Georgia, North Hero and Alburgh as scrap metal for no charge, and in Grand Isle for a fee.

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash.

Explosives are not accepted at NWSWD facilities. For information on proper disposal of explosives, please contact your local police department. Please do not transport ANY dangerous explosives (such as old dynamite) without first consulting with your local police. If your town is not serviced by a local police department, please contact the Vermont State Police at (802) 878-7111. For marine flares, please contact the Coast Guard in Burlington (802) 862-0376.

Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes (straight, circular and U-shaped), compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs, UV radiation tubes, HID bulbs, and metal halide and sodium bulbs contain mercury and should be handled carefully. They can be disposed of at any NWSWD drop-off site. Please call ahead for large loads.

The follow local outlets offer CFL recycling services, usually at no cost, either on their own or as part of utility-run programs.

  • Aubuchon’s St. Albans | 204 Swanton Rd, St Albans City | 802-524-9855
  • Aubuchon’s Enosburg Falls | 33 Depot St, Enosburg Falls | 802- 933-2972
  • Home Depot Williston | 759 Harvest Ln | 802-872-0039

All donated food should be protected to prevent food contamination by storing in packages, covered containers, or wrappings. Contact the following organizations listed below directly for information on how to donate and how to prepare leftovers to ensure they meet food safety requirements.

Food scraps can be composted at home, fed to chickens, or brought to any NWSWD Facility, Hudak Farm Stand and Greenhouse, or St. Albans Creamery Co-Op Store.

NWSWD also runs operates a 30+ stop commercial compost pick-up route for customers like schools, restaurants, healthcare facilities, and grocery stores.This route is open to residents of St. Albans City and some residents of St. Albans Town. Town residents contact 524.5986 or info@nwswd.org to see if you are in our service area.

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash. 

These can also be disposed of at NWSWD sites in North Hero, Montgomery, Georgia and the Alburgh Transfer Station or the Highgate Transfer Station.

If you have items in good shape reuse should be your first option.

ReSOURCE’S ReSTORE- 658-4143

Local charities and used furniture stores are a great reuse option.

Gasoline and gas oil mixes are accepted at any of our Hazardous Waste Events or dropped off by appointment at our Georgia facility.

Food and beverage glass containers must be recycled in Vermont and are accepted at all NWSWD facilities and hauler curbside collections.

Window pane glass or other ceramics and glassware are not accepted for recycling. Windows complete with casings are accepted at our NWSWD Full-Service Drop-Off Centers as construction and demolition debris. Fees will be charged based on window size.

Please note: broken window pane glass or glassware should be discarded as household trash. The ingredients used to make glassware or window pane glass are different from what goes into container glass for bottles and jars, thus making it non-recyclable.

You can bring Hazardous Waste material to the Georgia Hazardous Waste Program Tuesday thru Thursday from 9:30am – 11:30am & 1:00pm-3:00pm (by appointment only) or at District held Hazardous Waste Events in Franklin and Grand Isle counties. Collected items includes oil, antifreeze, oil based paint and stains, latex paints, gasoline, mercury containing items, pesticides, fertilizers, and more.

To be safe and legal, dispose of home-generated sharps, needles, and syringes in this manner:

  1. Place sharps in an empty, rigid plastic container, such as a laundry detergent bottle.
  2. Tape the bottle’s cap shut with strong tape. Firmly attach a “Do Not Recycle” label to the bottle. You can print this sample label or call 802-828-1138 to request “Do Not Recycle” stickers for home-generated sharps.
  3. Dispose of bottle in the trash.

The Universal Recycling Law allows people to reuse rigid plastic bottles to dispose of their home-generated sharps.

Composting is the best answer for these types of materials. Piling leaves, brush and yard waste near your composter will provide you with ample material throughout the year to generate compost for your garden. You can rent a small chipper for little money to turn larger brush into mulch for your compost or garden.

Natural wood, including brush and tree limbs is accepted at the North Hero Transfer Station the first and third Saturdays of the month during the summer. Large branches or logs should be no more than 6″ in diameter. Please keep log lengths to a manageable size. Residents may check with their town clerk or the local fire warden for restrictions on open burning of wood waste. The District offers one large collections each year for leaves that homeowners cannot compost in the Fall, please call us, 524-5986 for details.

Brush and yard waste is also accepted at:

North Hero Transfer Station – Clean wood only – no logs greater then 6 inches in diameter. No stumps.

Northwest Vermont Solid Waste Management Site in Georgia Vermont. 158 Morse Drive – clean wood only (no painted or pressure treated material), brush and leaves, organic material only. No contaminated soils or liquid material. Call ahead if you have any question.

All stumps, including those with dirt and stones are accepted at the following locations:

Ranger Asphalt and Concrete Processing LLC (1607 Mallets Bay, Colchester, 655-3976) Call for current pricing. Additional charge may apply for oversized stumps. Please call Ranger directly to confirm cost.

Halogen, incandescent, and LED light bulbs do not contain hazardous materials and can be recycled at the NWSWD Georgia facility or any drop-off site.

Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes (straight, circular and U-shaped), compact fluorescent light bulbs, UV radiation tubes, HID bulbs, and metal halide and sodium bulbs all contain mercury and are banned from the trash. Please see “mercury-containing devices” for more information on how to dispose of these items.

If you break a mercury-containing bulb, visit the Mercury Education & Reduction Campaign for information on proper clean-up and disposal of broken bulbs. (NOTE: No broken mercury-containing devices will be accepted at the Drop-Off Centers. All broken items need to go to a HHW collection.)

Maple producers have the option of bringing sap line (includes lateral and main line) to Northwest Solid Waste District office location for recycling.

Mattresses are accepted at our Georgia, North Hero, and Montgomery sites. No upholstered furniture in the trash boxes at any drop-off sites.

Unregulated Medical Waste, also known as Home Generated Medical Waste, includes syringes, sharps, and other medical waste such as bandages, dressings, or medical bags that are generated from home medical use, and not administered by a licensed healthcare professional.

  • Soiled bandages, dressings or medical bags should be placed in a separate container, sealed, and clearly labeled before being placed in the regular household trash.
  • For more information on how to dispose of needles and syringes from unregulated medical waste or home generated medical waste, go to the syringes, needles, sharps section.

Regulated Medical Waste (RMW) is the portion of waste generated in the medical industry which requires special handling and treatment prior to disposal.

These are certified medical waste haulers who service Regulated Medical Waste in Vermont:

Some common household items contain mercury, including thermometers, thermostats, fluorescent bulbs, ballasts, etc. Mercury-containing items should NOT be discarded as trash. These items are accepted the NWSWD Georgia Facility and at HHW collections.


Businesses with other mercury-containing devices should call NWSWD at 524-5986 to schedule an appointment.

(NOTE: broken mercury-containing devices are accepted at the Georgia Recycling Center or a HHW collection.)

relay ⋅ switch ⋅ neon signs

All milk, juice, and soup cartons (aka aseptic packaginggable-top, etc) should be placed in your household trash

Cartons are made of several different materials—like paper, plastic and aluminum—that are pressed together to form a waterproof, temperature resistant seal. This makes them difficult to recycle. Unfortunately, there is currently no local facility that can achieve this separation.

juice carton ⋅ juice box ⋅ milk carton ⋅ soup carton ⋅ almond milk carton ⋅ soy milk carton ⋅ coconut milk carton ⋅ half and half carton

Used motor oil, oil filters, and all vehicle crankcase and gearbox oils and fluids including antifreeze, brake fluid, differential fluid, gear oil, hydraulic fluid, motor oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, 2-cycle oil, and bar and chain oil can be disposed of by appointment at our Georgia facility or at a Hazardous Waste Collection Event (District residents only). You should also check with your local garage or auto parts store about possible disposal options.

First, these bits of Styrofoam are not recyclable through the local drop off programs or with your curbside hauler since a lack of markets and material make it infeasible to recycle Styrofoam in most places.

However, there are a few local options for the recycling of packaging peanuts:

  • Mail It (Highgate) Call them at 868-5987 to make arrangements.
  • Branon Maple Products- 827-3914
  • Or, check out www.loosefillpackaging.com to find outlets for recycling peanuts all across the country.

For styrofoam other than peanuts: if you are willing to mail your Styrofoam packaging via the US Postal Service you can do so to:

Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers – 1298 Cronson Boulevard Suite 201 / Crofton, MD 21114 / (410)451-8340 (phone)

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash.

Unwanted paint, paint thinner, stains, varnishes, other coatings, and paint chips can be dropped off at the NWSWD Georgia facility by appointment or brought to one of the NWSWD Hazardous Waste Collection Events.

PaintCare offers drop-off sites throughout Vermont where the public can take unwanted paint for recycling. These sites are available to households, businesses, government agencies, and others with leftover paint. Search the PaintCare website for a drop-off location near you.

paint (latex) ⋅ paint (oil based) ⋅ paint thinner ⋅ varnish ⋅ stain

EMPTY metal paint cans that are completely empty can be recycled as scrap metal.

EMPTY metal paint cans that have paint residue can be discarded in the trash.

EMPTY plastic paint cans that are completely empty (or have paint residue) can be disposed of in the trash.

Paper can be recycled for free in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site. Keep dry.

Shredded paper must be in a clear, plastic bag.

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the landfill.

Vermont offers free medication mail back envelopes online at healthvermont.gov. Residents can get a mail back envelope online or at the NWSWD Georgia Facility. Simply put the medicine in its original container or in a sealed bag, place it inside the pre-addressed envelope, and mail the envelope for free!


These items can be included in the mail-back:

  • Over-the-counter and prescription medications
  • Prescription paints and ointments
  • Liquid medications (up to 4 oz.)
  • Pet medications
  • Vitamins

These items cannot be included in the mail back:

  • Herbal remedies
  • Cosmetics
  • Personal care products
  • Compressed cylinders
  • Aerosols
  • Inhalers
  • Medical devices
  • Inhalers
  • Medical devices
  • Pet pesticide products
  • Sharps
  • Illegal drugs
  • Medications containing iodine

If a take back program is not available, most medicines can be thrown in your household trash. Remember to remove the drugs from their containers and put them in a zip-lock bag mixed with dirt, coffee grounds, or kitty liter before placing in the trash.

Never flush medicines! Chemicals in the medication will kill bacteria in your septic tank, damaging the whole septic system. Medications can also pass through water treatment plants and enter the environment, harming wildlife.

Clean pizza boxes can be recycled for free in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site. Just remove stuck on food and recycle it along with other mixed paper.

If the pizza box is too greasy or has too much food stuck on it, try composting the greasy parts instead!

Clean plastic bags can be brought to any NWSWD drop-off site.

Additionally, several local grocery stores will accept your plastic bags for recycling.

  • Shaw’s
  • Hannaford’s
  • Wal-Mart
  • Kinney Drugs

In most cases all plastic bags are eligible for recycling as long as they are clean. Contact your local store for any restrictions. Visit https://www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/recycling-bags-and-wraps/find-drop-off-location/ for a complete list of free drop-off locations near you!

NWSWD accepts plastics #1-7. This includes most containers and packaging made from plastics #1-7 such as bottles, jugs, yogurt containers, dairy tubs, and clear plastic hinged takeout containers. Styrofoam, and plastic toys are NOT accepted. Please see “plastic bags” for options for plastic bags.

Plastic recyclables are accepted at all NWSWD Drop-Off Centers and by all haulers offering curbside recycling in Grand Isle and Franklin Counties. Just remove lids smaller than 2″ in diameter, rinse clean, and recycle them along with other bottles and cans.

NOTE: Empty plastic motor oil and transmission fluid bottles are NOT accepted locally as recyclables and should be disposed of with your regular trash.

Return to the retailer for refill or exchange. The new style tanks are refillable. Please check with a local hardware store or convenience store for an exchange program.

The old-style tanks are no longer being refilled. NWSWD has a few options to dispose of your old propane tanks (whether it’s empty or still contains gas).

Option 1: Take your old tank to a store that offers an exchange program.

Option 2: RECYCLE IT TO NWSWD. You can bring in any size propane cylinder to our Georgia location for recycling. Bring the propane tanks by appointment to our Georgia facility or to a Hazardous Waste Collection Event (District residents only).

Some printer and toner cartridges can be refilled. To learn more about this option, contact:

Ribbon Recyclers – 185 Commerce St., Williston; 660-8960

Vermont Toner Recharge – 400 Ave. D, Suite 30, Williston; 864-7637

Vermont Lions District 45 has established a recycling program for inkjet and laser toner cartridges to help raise funds for their Sight and Hearing programs. Please click here to learn more about this option.

Staples will take any inkjet and toner cartridges and will give you a $3 coupon for your efforts.

Best Buy has an inkjet cartridge recycling kiosk located just inside the front door of its store locations. Free to drop-off all inkjet cartridges for recycling.

Sharp Copier Toner Cartridge Program offers an easy way for Sharp customers to recycle their toner cartridges. Simply download pre-paid, pre-addressed UPS shipping labels from the Sharp website to ship out your used toner cartridges. To facilitate bulk shipments, help conserve resources and reduce energy use, customers can also order recycled cardboard boxes that hold up to ten used cartridges. These cartons arrive via UPS, you fill them up, and then you ship them off to be recycled.

Also, you should always check to see if the NEW printer cartridge you purchase comes with an envelope to return the old one. A number of companies are providing this option.

Empty toner cartridges are not recyclable in your blue bin or at any NWSWD facility and should be discarded as trash — regardless of any recycling symbols on the cartridge.

The following items can be recycled for free in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site.

Just rinse clean (cans and bottles) and keep dry (cardboard and paper).

  • Boxboard
  • Aluminum/steel/tin cans and foil
  • Glass food/beverage bottles and jars
  • Corrugated cardboard and paper bags
  • Plastic bottles, tubs and jugs
  • Clamshells and food trays (No Styrofoam)
  • Printing and writing paper, mail, phone books, newspapers, magazines, catalogs

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash.

Refrigerators and other refrigeration units (air conditioners, dehumidifiers, freezers, etc.) contain CFC’s, an ozone depleting gas. Therefore, refrigeration units must be drained of this gas before they can be scrapped. Refrigerators and other freon devices can be dropped off at the Georgia Recycling Center Monday thru Saturday during business hours. You can also bring Freon units to the North Hero Transfer Station.

Scrap metal is accepted for recycling at NWSWD Facilities in North Hero and Georgia. Fees for scrap metal range from $1.00 – $20.00 per item..

Scrap metal includes most bicycles, desks, filing cabinets, book shelves, barbeque grills, lawn furniture, lawn mowers or car parts (drained of ALL fluids see above), doors, windows, screens (remove glass panes if possible), nails, nuts, or bolts, siding or roofing material, and any item that is at least 80% metal. The type of metal is not important. Even electrical wiring contains metal that can be recycled and may be placed in the scrap metal bin.

Other items accepted as scrap metal at the locations listed above:

Helium tanks: Release all the remaining helium. Once you are confident the tank is empty or no longer under any pressure, remove the valve. We can then accept it as scrap metal for a $3.00 fee.

For commercial quantities of scrap metal there are several area scrap metal recyclers. Please contact them directly with any questions regarding large quantities of scrap metal ( see below):

Hodgdon’s Scrap Yard – (802) 868-7280 Swanton

Rathes Salvage – (802) 655-0651 Colchester

Earth Waste – (802) 775-7722

St.Albans City Garage St.Albans City

Smoke detectors contain a small amount of radioactive material, which does not travel very far, even in air. Nonetheless, do not open the insides of a smoke detector, as that could remove the shielding, possibly exposing you to levels above background. Vermont residents may dispose of smoke detectors as trash.

Alternatively, smoke detectors may be mailed back to the manufacturer for recycling. Mail smoke detectors by surface or UPS ground mail. (Specify on the package that they should not be shipped via air.) Contact the manufacturer’s toll-free number for instructions and mailing address.

Two manufacturers that make a large percentage of the smoke detectors in use may be reached at the following numbers:

  • First Alert/BRK Brands (Aurora, IL) 800-323-9005
  • American Sensors (Canada) 800-387-4219

Businesses with smoke detectors should call the Vermont Environmental Assistance Division in Waterbury, at 1-800-974-9559, to receive information about proper disposal.

Steel cans can be recycled for free in your curbside recycling bin or at any NWSWD Drop-Off Site.

Just rinse clean and dry.

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash.

Styrofoam block packaging, meat trays, cups, plates or packing peanuts, are NOT accepted for recycling. Styrofoam should be discarded with your trash.

Styrofoam packaging peanuts are accepted at no charge at services such as UPS and Fed Ex for reuse.

To dispose of syringes safely, ask your pharmacist or physician if they will take them back for disposal.

If not, please do the following: Place the syringes in a plastic bottle (soda bottle or water bottle will work) and place a label on the bottle that reads “USED SYRINGES- DO NOT RECYCLE.”

Fill the bottle, and when full cap the bottle tightly and tape it, then throw the bottle in the trash– Do Not Recycle this bottle. Stericycle is a service that can help you manage your biohazards with proper containers and disposal. Contact Stericycle for more information.

Please see mercury-containing devices section.

Tires can be recycled at the Georgia Facility or North Hero, Montgomery, and Bakersfield Drop-Off Sites.

It is illegal to dispose of this item in the trash. 

Good News Garage accepts donated cars, vans, or trucks, repairs them and gives them to families in need of transportation. Free pick up and towing. Online donation or call toll-free 877-GIVE-AUTO (877-448-3288). Vehicle donations may receive a higher tax deduction if used in the program.

American Diabetes Association (ADA) accepts vehicle donations accepted from individuals, companies, municipalities, whether vehicles run or not. Free pick-up and towing. Call (800) 232-6570.

automobile ⋅ bus ⋅ car ⋅ truck ⋅ van