Northwest Solid Waste District collects household paint and stain free of charge year-round at our Georgia facility by appointment only. Click here to make an appointment.
Small businesses that have hazardous waste to dispose of are asked to register in advance by calling (802) 524-5986.
To be eligible to bring waste hazardous waste in to Georgia, businesses must generate less than 220 lbs or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month. See also Hazardous Waste for Businesses.
Household collection events
NWSWD holds household hazardous waste collection events May-September in various district towns on a rotating basis.
Events are open to all residents (no businesses, please) of Grand Isle and Franklin Counties, except for residents of the Town of Fairfax, whose town is not a member of NWSWD. If you are a resident of Fairfax, please contact your town administrator for information on the disposal options available to you.
Upcoming Collection Events
HIGHGATE SALT STORAGE SHED MAY 7, 2022 8 AM – 2 PM
GRAND ISLE TRANSFER STATION MAY 14, 2022 8 AM – 2 PM
SWANTON TOWN GARAGE MAY 21, 2022 8 AM – 2 PM
MONTGOMERY TOWN GARAGE AUGUST 6, 2022 8 AM – 2 PM
SAINT ALBANS TOWN GARAGE AUGUST 13, 2022 8 AM – 2 PM
NORTH HERO TRANSFER STATION AUGUST 20, 2022 8 AM – 2 PM
What to bring
- Automotive Fluids: Motor oil, used antifreeze, and other auto fluids
- Rechargeable batteries: Alkaline, nickel-cadium, lithium, and button batteries, auto batteries
- Paints and chemicals: Oil based paint, latex paint, solvents, varnishes, pool and hobby chemicals
- Lawn and garden chemicals: Both pesticides and fertilizers
- Household cleaners: Furniture polish, chlorine bleach, drain cleaners, metal polishes and any cleaners labeled “Danger”, “Poison”, “Warning” and “Caution”.
- Fluorescent bulbs / Mercury-containing devices: Fluorescent bulbs, compact fluorescent bulbs, thermometers, manometers
- Paint and stain: Latex and oil
- Smoke detectors
What not to bring
- Asbestos: a licensed asbestos abatement contractor should handle asbestos. Contact Vermont Agency of Natural Resources at (802) 891-5958 for a list of contractors.
- Ammunition and explosives: Contact the State of Vermont Explosives Unit at (802) 244-8727 to arrange for proper disposal of ammunition, fireworks, and flares
- Medical waste
- Radioactive materials